Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mary's Brandy Snaps

Yesterday I attempted this technical challenge and although I closely followed the instructions I didn't get that very thin lacy finish that I hoped for.  The brandy snaps tasted wonderful and had a nice crunch, not too hard, but didn't really have any holes in them.  I would love someone to tell me what went wrong then I could have another go at them sometime.  I decorated mine with milk chocolate (to please my husband, David) and toasted chopped hazelnuts.  I came home at lunchtime today to find there were only 2 left!  It seems David and his friend Ian had taken a fancy to them.

Brandy Snaps


I quite like the idea of making a batch of brandy snap baskets which could then be used to create a dessert by filling them with a scoop of ice cream, some summer fruits and a dusting of icing sugar.  You would need to oil the outside of some individual pudding basins or ramekins and shape the brandy snap mixture over them.

2 comments:

  1. Did you follow the recipe off the show or Mary's actual recipe? On the show she says 50g of each whereas her recipe asks for 55g of each beside flour, which was still 50g.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe I followed is on page 60 of the Bake Off Book and it says 50g of each - not sure where your 55g comes from!

    ReplyDelete